The WUGC Annual Dinner was held at Kings Norton Golf Club on Friday 16th January 2015. There were 245 diners in total, with representatives from 23 Worcestershire clubs, joining our guests from 10 other Midlands Counties, the Midland Golf Union and England Golf.
Grace was said by Will Painter, WUGC President Elect, and was followed by a superb 4 course meal, coffee and mints produced by Paul Gittins and his staff from the catering team at Kings Norton GC.
Following the Loyal Toast and a short break, the main part of the evening was kicked off by Ray Saunders, England Golf President, who proposed the toast to The Worcestershire Union of Golf Clubs. Bill Thompson, WUGC President, made the formal response on behalf of the WUGC and toasted The Guests. Bill was keen to highlight the achievements of our clubs and individual players and made special mention of:
- Moseley GC for hosting the England Golf County qualifier in 2014,
- Redditch GC for hosting the 50th Anniversary Boys 4 Counties event.
- Hollywood GC for hosting 6 County events in 2014.
- Oliver Farrell for his numerous national achievements in 2014.
- Richard Sadler for winning the Midland Mid-Amateur event.
- Redditch GC for their outstanding success, winning the Droitwich Shield, Boulton Salver and Brandhall Golf Vase, as well as supplying the County 1st Team Points Winner, the County 2nd Team Points Winner, the County Senior Team Points Winner, and the County Matchplay Champion.
Bill invited Ray Saunders to make presentations to:
- Oliver Farrell (Evesham GC) - Amateur Championship Centenary Putter.
- Matt Vigurs (Redditch GC) - County 1st Team Points Winner.
- Steve Bird (Redditch GC) - County 2nd Team Points Winner.
- John Swann (Redditcxh GC) - County Senior Team Points Winner.
and probably the highlight of the evening:
- Richard Sadler (Moseley GC) was presented with a glass plaque to commemorate passing the milestone of playing 100 matches for the County 1st Team.
With everyone in a contented and comfortable mood, Ian Irving was invited to entertain us to end the evening, with an after dinner speech.
Many guests commented on the night that the food, the service, the general ambience and the speeches from Ray, Bill and Ian made the evening the best they have ever experienced. Bill has also since received numerous letters, emails and phone calls from both club members and the other guests to compliment WUGC on the evening, and making it clear that they are already looking forward to coming back next year. Just a few of the comments:
"A really superb evening in every respect. One of the best Dinners I've attended" Martin Hathway, President of Nottinghamshire Golf Union.
"A thoroughly enjoyable evening. Well organised and shared in delightful company" David Windebank, Past President of Gloucestershire Golf Union.
Bill would like to thank all the people who have taken the trouble to contact him.
Bill would also like to thank Kings Norton Golf Club for hosting such a successful event, and thank all the staff who worked tirelessly to ensure that such a good evening was had by all.
Posted on 25/01/2015
by Stuart Pritchard