Home / Juniors / U18 News and Match Reports

Boys Matchplay Finals 22nd/23rd August 2017

16 of the best Juniors from across Worcestershire arrived at Bransford GC on a foggy Tuesday morning to contest the 1st round of the 2017 Boys Matchplay Championships. After a slightly delayed start, the boys soon got into their stride, with golf of the highest calibre in match after match. Their were good wins for Will Stott (Bewdley Pines), Patrick Leydon (Kings Norton), Connor Thomas (Kings Norton), Jake Kelly (Ombersley), and Ollie Lowe (Bewdley Pines). The three closest 1st round matches saw Luke Rolinson (Droitwich GC) beating Nathan Slater (Bewdley Pines) by 2 holes, James Lloyd (Worcester G&CC) beaing his club team mate Ben Wadley by a single hole, and Alex Band (Worcester G&CC) beating County Junior Captain Joe Price (Hagley G&CC) on the 19th.

With the sun coming out in the afternoon, the stunning Bransford GC course was shown at its very best. All the 2nd round matches were closely fought, with 3 going to the 17th hole, and 1 going all the way to the 18th. Eventually, Alex Band, Patrick Leydon (Kings Norton), Jake Kelly and James Lloyd eased past the finishing line, to book their places in the Wednesday morning semi-finals.

The semi-finals saw Will Stott beating Patrick Leydon and Jake Kelly beating James Lloyd.

 Jake Kelly (left), Will Stott (right) with referee Di Wylde.

The final produced golf of the very highest quality with both players recording 5/6 birdies, and a better ball score of 8 under par.

Eventually Jake Kelly pulled ahead to take the title with a  2&1 victory. 


Jake Kelly receiving the John Fraser Trophy, as winner of the Boys Matchplay Championship, from Grenville Rose, WUGC President.

In his presentation speech, Grenville thanked Bransford GC for producing such an excellent course to host the event. He also thanked all the Bransford GC staff for making all the boys and officials so welcome over the two days.

Finally, Grenville thanked Dave McDermott for starting, and Tony Edwards, Colin Mitchell and Di Wylde for refereeing.